Medtech Europe: MDD; European Parliament’s tentative timetable becomes clear:
As reported previously, the European Commission’s Proposal for a revision of the Medical Devices Directives (MDD) was submitted to the European Parliament and the Council on 26 September. Before both legislative documents can become legally binding, they will be subject to the ordinary legislative procedure. The European Parliament’s Committee for Environment, Public Health and Safety (known as the ENVI Committee) is charged with considering the revision of the Medical Devices Directives. The ENVI Committee’s anticipated timeline has become clear over the past month:
- A first exchange of views take place: 18 February
- ENVI holds a workshop on medical devices: 26 February
- ENVI considers the draft report: 24 April
- ENVI members table amendments: 3 May
- ENVI considers the amendments: 29 May
- ENVI votes on the report: 10 July
The report is then slated to be voted on by the full Parliament in a plenary session in September 2013.
Watch this space for more updates on MDD developments and consult theEucomed website for detailed background.